a

Thursday, September 18, 2014

whose story

once in jerry's class we find ourselves pondering on Mystery's story yes, story is compelling. we say, what has more authority than a story, and then whose story has most authority? here I am offering my story, a collection of mangled bits of human failure wrapped in rotten banana peels, but is that the story which defines me, the story of the life I have lived? instead I trade in my story at the cross and a Nazarene man hands me Another Story and that is the story I live by and immerse myself in: a story of hope, redemption, new creation. this is the story I hold in my hands and present to you as my story. this is the story I am living in. my story is the one you can find in The Book.

what is the purpose of The Book ? please let us remain distant from the thought that it is a rule book, or an answer book, or even an encyclopedia of truth. The Book is a love story, and one which is best to surrender to and become immersed within. oh for life to be controlled by this story. the more I immerse myself in this story the more I will desire to remain in the world of the story, the one that is "an open, artistic, imaginative story of God's staggering care for the world" and less and less will I desire to live in the story of my own small isolated world of despair and foolish worldly wisdom.

and please, let us be careful not to rip pieces of "information" out of this Love Story to sloppily slap them on the table so that people with glasses in suits and Everyone Else with inerrant wonderfully smart tongues can begin arguing over Yes And No science and women and works and sex and too much wine. The Book says Love will make all things new and let's dwell on that, and become a participant within this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment