Patience is the heart of wisdom. In the most trying times, the answer is usually, "Be more patient."
"Patience is the companion to wisdom." - St. Augustine
God is known to be slow to answer, he enjoys silence and stillness, he enjoys when his children enjoy silence and stillness.
It is said that God's first language is Silence. Silence. Dwell on that.
A story that encapsulates this idea is the one of Elijah in 1 Kings 19. Elijah is hiding in a cave, and a powerful wind came, but God was not in the wind, and then an earthquake came, but God was not in the earthquake, and then a great fire came, but God was not in the fire... and then, after who knows how much time has passed, how much waiting Elijah has had to endure, a gentle whisper came, and God was in it and he spoke to Elijah.
I was having a slow conversation with Brent, the master of Being Silent. He thinks being silent in a community of people is the most powerful time one can have, that being silent with a person is the highest form of relationship. And how true is it, that it is only after we know someone intimately do we feel comfortable with sharing a space to just be Quiet with one another.
I spend a lot of time in silence. I do not know why I am drawn to it, but I think I understand a bit more why today. God's first language is silence, and so when I am silent with him, we are conversing, and it is powerful.
God is the Word, he is the Voice. When God speaks he is creating life. God only speaks to create life. Because God is Love and Truth, and Love and Truth can only make life. God creates life and then he rests in it, he is silent, he is pleased, he delights.
God made you out of himself, he made you out of Love, and now he rests in you, silently.
No comments:
Post a Comment